Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A MEANINGLESS MILESTONE...

So here we are at Sea with over 20,000 hits under our belt. This is a completely meaningless number (it ignores the first nine months or so of the blog, when I had the most readers, and starts in the middle of nowhere--StatCounter crashed and burned when I left home and I had to restart it in October of 2006).

On the other hand, every round number is an opportunity to reflect, and this one is making me think seriously of taking some time off for more productive pursuits, whatever they might be. After 664 posts, I feel it's getting rather repetitive, and if I feel that way, I can just imagine how the rest of the world feels.

There is also the point that over half the hits I get are for one picture [ Google "gay kiss underwear" and you'll see me in the number 2 position, at the moment...]. So, that's 10,000 "real" hits in some twenty-seven months, which any self-respecting site with "gay" and "kiss" and "underwear" in it would be able to generate in a day.

So, I have to content myself with the fact that some 11,000 people tuned in in 2008, and about one in seven came back for more [more of the underwear picture?]. Why, that's an almost 50% increase over the number of "unique" hits in 2007, so I must be doing something right, but what it is I have no more idea than you do. My uncle in the bulk-mail industry says that a 2% response to a cold-mailing was "success," but I have no idea what the equivalent would be on the web. Frankly, the fact that anyone comes back for more of this drivel after getting an initial dose is almost inconceivable to me.

Anyway, if you don't see anything for a while, you can hope that it's because I am finally getting my act together and getting something done in the real world for a change.

Reality has a way of setting in sooner or later.
Lots of love to "all you wonderful people out there in the dark."
C

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how I missed it, but I never even noticed the "gay kiss underwear."

    Whenever you're ready to reach out beyond the blog, you know how to reach me. I know you've got a lot of wisdom to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Gay kiss underwear! I have sort of the same problem, I once wrote about going camping with a bunch of guys when I was a teen. I mentioned about us being in our underwear before bed. Well suddenly the hits for teen guys in their underwear started rolling in and it messed up my stats, perverts! XD

    ReplyDelete