Saturday, July 26, 2008

HAVE I MENTIONED...?


Have I mentioned the fact that it has been raining almost every day for what seems like weeks on end? Not quite forty days and forty nights, but you know what I mean. If I start seeing the rats and cockroaches marching by two by two, I for one am heading for the hills.

I had to drive home from my mother's in the worst storm of the bunch [OK, OK, Southern Vermont is not that far away, but still...]. There wasn't any lightning that night, which is too bad; because highways tend to have a lot of clear space on either side, lightning storms can be a real gas to drive in. And there's no safer place in a lightning storm than a car: your own private Faraday cage.

If, on the other hand, you are sitting at home wanting to watch a movie or work on the computer, a lightning storm is an invitation to disaster. The other night the lightning just kept on coming, with the flash and the crash just about on top of each other, which means things are pretty close. In fact, I could have sworn the strikes were coming down all around the Weird Little House, like a celestial version of "Dance, tenderfoot!"

Maybe this is what some fundamentalist nit-wits mean when they say God will punish us. If so, why did he keep missing?

Anyway, there have been a couple of periods of glorious sunshine--witness the last Goatsong--but they haven't lasted long, and sooner or later, the clouds just roll back in let loose. I've gotten so used to the sound of cars going past on the Major Artery in the rain that I'm not sure I'd even hear them if the road ever dried out...

I am getting ever-so-slightly tired of rain...
C

No comments:

Post a Comment