Tuesday, February 17, 2009

LET THEM EAT CAKE...


I know I am in no position to point a finger, but I have to say I hate the way people are talking at the Academy these days. I know they are just worried, or in a couple of cases, considering panic, and I'm not at my best, either, in that situation. The Academy has just instituted some cost-cutting measures, the first in a series of such "cuts," probably; these are in the interest of not having to lay anyone off, which plenty of other schools are doing this year. I have no idea how admissions are doing, but it stands to reason that even the people with the cash to send their kids to private school are eventually going to wonder where things are headed. Needless to say, those who have already been laid off got around to that some time ago...

One of the things that the Academy is doing is ending its pseudo-sabbatical program, which had already become kind of a one-winner-takes-all lottery, and another is cutting out retirement plan contributions. Anyone in his right mind will see that this is better than laying people off. I think.

Of course, if you are approaching retirement, and it's the more recent hires who would get laid off, I suppose it all looks different. Me, I'm just happy that it's not my problem yet. I know it's coming, and I don't know what I will do when it gets here, but I do have six months to a year to figure it out. I think.

I'm actually pretty good at washing dishes, though it's been a long time since I had to do real physical labor eight or more hours a day--or at night, for that matter. I'm sure it wouldn't take me long to regret it.

And panic in my case is particularly unattractive, so I'm not trying to point fingers. At anyone. I just don't like the tone of surface resignation and underlying bitterness that seems to be showing up. But then, I'm not even a Faculty Wife. I'm more of a not-so-innocent bystander... so I should really just shut up. I'm trying pretty hard not to say anything anywhere but here...

Well, as the Naz used to say, "sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Or, as my grandfather used to say, "a word to the wise"...
C

No comments:

Post a Comment