Monday, October 20, 2008

A LITTLE UPDATE...

And why not?

The Long-leggedy Daughter, back from college on a flying visit, came and went, visiting both my Humble Abode and the Goat's, where we had dinner. Then she and I trucked back down the hill to the Abode to watch a great silly movie: Ironman, which definitely gets my vote for Superhero Movie of the Year. (I know it doesn't have Heath Ledger, but it does have Robert Downey, Jr., and a pretty tight script. )

She was very polite about the Abode. I still have not unpacked to the point where I feel like I live here, but at least the boxes no longer dominate. I was really depressed about the lack of progress until I realized that it took me three months to get this far after my last move: I had the house ready for the kids' visit at Christmas--I'm almost as far along now, and it's hardly even Hallowe'en yet... time to cheer up...

My big news is that I have finally discovered where Wal-Mart is, so I now have an electric blanket to deal with the Puritan heating habits of Mine Host (it turns out there is a reason the rent is so low...). Wal-Mart is apparently a closely guarded secret around here--I don't think I've met anyone who admits to shopping there, aside from the Goat. These Big Woods are a pretty upscale area, but it turns out that you can in fact find the odd useful store if you know who[m] to ask. The up-scal-itude may explain why you can actually find your way around this Wal-Mart, and see what you're buying, too... not as dark or depressing as the one I left two years ago.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I am way behind on everything, not least because I would rather read other people's blogs or post to my own rather than getting anything done. It's gotten to the point where the Goat occasionally mentions it, in passing, quietly, just to let me know that he's noticed...

It seems that it's always two steps forward, one step back these days. I am beginning to feel like things will never settle down, and I have less and less energy to deal with the drama, current and impending. It could be worse: I could by my boyfriend instead of me, having to put up with me instead of the Goat... that would be a trial.

Hang in there, all.
C

No comments:

Post a Comment