Friday, April 14, 2006

9 MORE DAYS... WISH ME LUCK

Gents:


my fondest greetings to you all on this day, on which I finally reach the 54 I lay claim to as Friedemann. Well, I will never be [or have] Friedemann, but 54 is mine for an entire year.

I thank you for all the love and support you have showed me over the last weeks, while I discovered Badder Living Through Chemistry after years of stability; without your presence I feel sure I should have drowned in my own tears.

As Carroll's Alice could attest [and I think I'll just accept that SHE's my IG!], the tears you shed when you are a giant can endanger your littler self as a briny deep... And of course it's the littler self that has a future and a story; none of us are giants for long. This is my eighth birthday alone; I have celebrated by buying myself a present, getting a very short haircut, and laying on dinner for most of my local family, due at noon today.

[9pm: It was a blast! twelve crazy, wonderful people -- and not a single present allowed. My mother had to cheat, of course... Yes, there were LOTS of dishes, but it was worth every minute of preparation and clean-up. And it sure beat being "home alone"...]

Bless you all.
Hang in there and stay in touch.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I love buying myself presents because I'm rarely disappointed - get exactly what I wanted! I'm glad dinner was a blast.
    I've been reading alot of your older posts and am starting to get a clue, some of your more recent posts seemed cryptic to a new comer like me...

    Good luck (what's in 9 days?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm confused too...what's the 9 days about?...

    I got myself an iPod for my birthday. (One sister is broke, and couldn't afford to get me anything; the other hates doing presents at any time other than Christmas. That, along with the absence of a significant other, limited the choices for presents...)

    I didn't get dinner, or a movie, or anything else, because I was wrapped up in the depression and codependency that is my job.

    In the spirit of Barry Manilow's New Year's song, it was just another day like all the rest.

    I "celebrate" my sobriety birthday - because I've had a lot more involvement in staying clean and sober than I have in sucking air, eating and excreting for another 365 days. Although both are definitely gifts from God, I'm certainly working harder at one than at the other.

    That's a revelation, all by itself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bear:
    my reply to your message seems to have been truncated somewhere along the way; my ISP is having gastric problems; here it is again...
    “My wife comes home for eight days in nine days and then leaves for two months. So I am alone and on my good behavior for nine days... Somewhere early on, I have a post where I admit to WOE that "Cryptic" is my middle name.
    Always willing to explain, though. Well, most of the time.
    Buying myself presents is like standing in the pantry looking for nuts or drinking one or two glasses too many: a sure sign that the Mood is Disordered after all. Most of the time I pretend I'm completely normal; I'm not sure I have ever fooled anyone, but it feels good.
    Have to go finish those dishes.
    Good to hear from you.
    T@C”

    Steve F:
    Nine days of my wife off Doing Good Deeds with 25 teens and assorted More-Patient-Than-the-Troll-type adults... then she's here for seven days and then off for two months.
    The mouse [mice?] in the meantime, has taken a vow of good behavior during the cat's absence, given all that could otherwise hit the fan... not only does she return in July, but two of our three kids also, so we need to focus pretty intentionally and intently on how we move forward and how we want to come out of this, while respecting our kids’ right not to get roped into what's going on between us while we try. The word here is: CAREFULLY! like porcupines mating, my father always used to say...
    T@C

    Can someone tell me how to edit a posted comment, or how to delete it for editing without leaving the scar of a "deleted comment"???

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is progress for the computer-challenged -- witness the lack of the "comment deleted" note...
    ah, the sweet sense of SUCCESS! or at least, less stupidity...
    The Troll

    ReplyDelete